Harness the Benefits of Percussion Massage Therapy
Muscle soreness can often occur when a body part has endured significant strain. Athletes often experience soreness, stiffness and cramps after tough workouts while office workers can suffer from conditions like “tech neck” thanks to sitting at desks and poring over screens all day. No matter the reason behind it, aching muscles can prevent us from achieving full relaxation and wellness after we come home from the office or the gym. That’s where percussion therapy comes in — and we’re not talking about banging out your frustrations on a drum set.
What is Percussion Therapy?
Percussion therapy is a form of massage that relieves pain and discomfort in soft tissues through targeted, rapid bursts of pressure. When you use percussion massage therapy right after a workout, it can help cut down on the amount of soreness you feel later. This is because the hammering sensation stimulates tissues deep in your muscles and increases circulation to the affected areas, helping you recover faster.
How Does Percussion Therapy Help?
There are many benefits of percussion therapy for sports performance and injury prevention. The stimulation provided by the targeted pressure of percussion massage therapy helps relax thickened connective tissues and fascia, increase oxygenation in your muscles and relieve stiff joints so you reach your fullest range of motion. Percussion therapy can even help break down internal scar tissue to encourage complete healing after surgery or injury.
There are many specific conditions that percussion therapy can help with:
- General soreness
- Shin splints
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Spasms and Cramps
Percussion therapy can also provide relief for TMJ Syndrome and herniated or bulging discs. However, it’s important that you use percussion massage tools carefully on bony areas. Start low and slow with pressure on these body parts so you don’t accidentally hurt yourself and adjust until you find the most effective setting.
How Do You Use Percussion Massage Tools?
One of the best things about percussion massage therapy is that it can be done right in your home, at the gym or anywhere else you need it. However, it’s always a good idea to see a licensed massage therapist who specializes in percussion therapy before diving in; they can show you how to use the tools and technique properly. Once you understand how to use a percussion massager, you should use it before and after a workout for the most effective results, since percussion therapy can help prime your muscles for even the toughest routine.
Follow these steps to get the best use out of your percussion massager:
- Find a comfortable pressure and speed setting for the areas you’ll be massaging. Start low and work your way up. If you feel a minor amount of discomfort, that’s okay — any good massage that works your deep tissues will this way. That being said, don’t beat yourself up, either.
- Before your workout, target areas that are sore from previous workouts or injuries, or that you know are going to be strained, like your calves, shins or hamstrings if you’re tackling leg day. If it’s long days in the office that have you feeling stiff, use the tool on your neck and shoulders before heading in.
- Do the same as soon as possible after your workout! The rigorous drumming pressure will break up lactic acid and promote good circulation so you don’t get a bad case of the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).
- Remember to use caution near bony areas like the spine and joints, as the tool will rebound more than it would on fleshier areas and may also cause more discomfort than it should.
- Try out different head attachments depending on the area you’re targeting. A larger one can be effective for big areas like the backs of your thighs while smaller attachments can hone in on specific pain points.
Pick Up a Flow Percussion Massager for Optimal Results
Whether you’re recovering from an injury or aiming to increase your general wellness, the Flow Percussion Massager is the percussion therapy tool that will help you meet your goals. This state of the art product uses a high-powered motor, four modes of speed and pressure, and three interchangeable massage heads to melt away tension and give you the most effective relief. One of the best features of this massager is that, in spite of the high-torque, brushless motor, it operates quietly so it doesn’t disturb you or those around you. Plus, it’s half the price of other popular percussion massagers like the Theragun. The Flow Percussion Massager is the ideal tool for facilitating workout and injury recovery.
Get Your Flow at iZen
Ready to harness all the benefits of percussion therapy with the best percussion massager for the job? Pick up one of our percussion therapy massage tools today to find relief and achieve maximum wellness. Have questions? Contact us and one of our representatives would be happy to help you!